Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Evening with the De Brunhoff's


I am currently working on Laurent de Brunhoff's next installment of Babar and family's adventures, BABAR'S USA.
Babar and his family travel to the U.S. in this new Babar adventure. Among
the places they visit: NYC, Key West, Los Angeles (Hollywood), San
Francisco, Grand Canyon, and Vermont (skiing).

Laurent has created a new medium for the images: he places the drawn
characters of Babar and his family into photographs of the actual places. A
very humorous and appealing approach!

Phyllis Rose de Brunhoff used her keen wit to spin an incredible text to accompany the images.
She also gave me some great recipes. ( That I actually used)

We sat down over a glass of scotch and went over layout in his Upper East side apartment. It was a surreal moment to be working on a Babar book. When not too long ago I was being read one and not over a glass of scotch. Who was I too be telling him what I thought, right! Well I guess that's what I do now. Kinda amazing.

Phyllis Rose de Brunhoff used her keen eye to look over the text and gave me some great recipes. ( That I actually used)

I 'll post pics of the art when the book gets closer to being done.

Advisement: Babar reminds his readers that this a work of fantasy, and only elephants should try to place their young on the backs of buffalo.



1 comment:

gail said...

BABAR'S USA sounds wonderful, love the concept of using photographs of the actual places. Great way to reinforce a sense of "place". :)

Babar over a glass of scotch with Laurent de Brunhoff in an Upper East side apartment, how cool is that!!

Looking forward to seeing more pics of the art!

gail