Wednesday, July 06, 2011

New Orleans, My first ALA


ALA in NEW ORLEANS


Usually I don't attend the ALA conference but this year I made and exception. How could I pass up seeing Margi Preus accept her Newbery Honor for Heart of a Samurai and on top of that it was in New Orleans which I had never been too. I obviously I could not.



Alex Beard's studios on Royal Street


Dan Santat enjoys time with the King.

Laura Mihalick works the booth


Orgaimi Yoda's Tom Angleberger opened up a back house for Wimpy Kid's Jeff Kinney


Mathew Cordell and his adorable daughter who is trying on my specs.



Horn Books Roger Sutton lends a helping hand at the ABRAMS booth


Jason Wells giving out swag for one of my favorite books of the year PETER NIMBLE and His Fantastic Eyes


Author Jonathan Auxier can't believe he is signing his first galley of Peter Nimble.



Tom Angleberger made his own Darth Paper shirt!



Erica Perl

John Hendrix


Auxier speaks over a fine meal to a room of eager Librarians

Margi Preus


Drinks at the Napoleon House in the French Quarter are a must for anybody visiting New Orleans for the first time. "Few places capture the essence of New Orleans like the Napoleon House: A 200 year old landmark that's as casual and unique as its French Quarter surroundings." Sitting there enjoying my Pimm's cup after a long day at the ABRAMS booth you could imagine drinking side by side with Indiana Jones who was just about too get in to a fight over an ancient relic which would lead to the bar being burnt to a crisp




Newbery & Caldecott awards dinner



Jonathan Auxier is still excited or his jaw is locked open.

Jonathan Auxier, William Joyce and Tamar Brazis


ABRAMS Table

Margi Preus accepts her Newbery Honor for Heart of a Samurai

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

It looks like a good time was had by all! My friend, a public librarian in Virginia Beach, attended and by all reports had a blast.